Start with a thorough set of plans. Here’s where to begin when you’re ready to build your dream deck:
● Style: which type of deck best suits your home and yard? Wraparounds are great for front porches or wide homes, multi level decks are perfect for split level homes or multiple outdoor features like pools or hot tubs, and small platform decks suit small or unlandscaped areas that need a clean slate for your favourite deck chairs.
● Function: Include your top use goals into your design for things like above ground pools, stairs, outdoor cooking, or kids’ play space.
● Materials: Some popular deck board materials are pressure treated lumber or composite decking. Both are durable and resist the elements, but have slightly different maintenance levels. Ask your KENT expert about eco-friendly and durable options to suit your needs!
● Extras: Factor in a little extra shade with features like gazebos, pergolas, or awnings. You can even include sunken fire pits, safety gates for pets or kids, and storage benches for cushions and yard gear. Most decks are usually placed off of the kitchen or main living area, which may be coupled with the installation of sliding doors or a pass through window.
● Attached or floating: There are two ways to build a deck, attached to your home and floating, or unattached.